DAVID BIANCULLI

GARY EDGERTON

ROGER CATLIN

KIM AKASS

GERALD JORDAN

TOM BRINKMOELLER

NOEL HOLSTON

Quick Question: Anybody Wanna Come Out and Play after 'American Idol'?
January 17, 2011  | By David Bianculli

[UPDATE: Based on your valuable feedback, we've decided to pursue the live chat idea, but NOT with American Idol. So you're on your own Wednesday night -- but we'll let you know when we've got the right show, and technology, in place to have us gather together to react to a show right after it airs. Thanks for all the smart suggestions, which you can read below...]

The TV WORTH WATCHING brain trust (and trust me, that's described with all due irony) met over the weekend to plan the next alterations and additions for the site. One thing we wanted to try -- but not unless readers were interested -- was an experimental live chat, or close to it.

american_idol_promo_b.jpg

So the suggestion was to meet here in cyberspace after the ET season premiere of Fox's American Idol on Wednesday -- it runs from 8-10 p.m. ET, so we'd meet at 10 -- and let you talk to us, and each other, about what you thought of the new judges, and the absence of the old ones.

We haven't worked out yet whether it'll be an actual live chat enabled via our software, or whether I'll just be hanging out and approving posting comments as quickly as I can. Nor have we figured out whether to extend the experiment to the West Coast -- or, frankly, whether it's worth doing at all, much less with American Idol.

But YOU tell US.

Would a live chat visit from time to time be fun, or just a waste? And if we're going to do this, is American Idol a good place to start?

(I'm spooked, for example, that in promotional photos, new judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez seem to have the exact same shades of highlighted hair.)

And will you pop in, or will I be hanging out all alone at my computer again?

Believe me, I'm used to it...

9 Comments

Max Boma said:

As a TiVo user, I'm not likely to join a live chat for any show any time soon after the show is over.

Doubly so for American Idol, if it matters; I don't like these game shows masquerading as "reality."

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 8:23 AM

Susan Sawatzky said:

If FOX and Directv in Spokane, WA could come to an agreement as to whether they will allow us to watch Amer Idol or the Superbowl or Bones, I'd participate. As it stands today.....probably not.

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 9:24 AM

cantinflas said:

I would like discussions about specific episodes of certain TV shows, like Breaking Bad, but not AI, and not as soon as it's over because I don't watch in real time.

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 9:34 AM

Mark N said:

Hi David...while I understand the posters above difficulties...but I'd come with bells on! I like the idea of specific shows as well...there is much to learn from how others are see something. Matter a fact its pretty astounding to me how differently we can see the same thing.....anyway...its a thumbs up from me

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 11:58 AM

shauna said:

I do really like the idea, especially for events like the Golden Globes last night, but I'm typically a DVR watcher and I haven't watched American Idol in years so it probably wouldn't work for me. Good luck though!

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 12:56 PM

Carina said:

I think it would be fun--but have you considered using Twitter for the chat? It's easy to use, and with a hashtag (like a tracking keyword) it's simple for everyone to interact.

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 2:05 PM

wilberfan said:

Nice idea--but you could have picked a better show. "Mad Men" for example...

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 6:56 PM

Tausif Khan said:

I like the idea of a live chat. Preferably it would be great if the live chat took place during the event but I know that would cause tremendous pressure in terms of moderating comments. I am not a fan of American Idol so I would sit this one out. However, I would take part in such events in the future. It sounds like a great experiment.

Comment posted on January 17, 2011 11:23 PM

Rich said:

One avenue you could try and it would cost you NOTHING is to simply have Bianculli set up a room (named by him) over at www.TinyChat.com.

It's easy. Just start a room and then post the URL link to it and say "JOIN US" - they can sign-in using Facebook, Twitter, MySpace - or simply Pick a nick-name at the room (whatever the settings are set by the one who creates the room)- It even allows for webcams!

Me, I will not be attending. "A.I." is dead for me now that Simon is gone. I will watch "X-Factor" when he hosts his USA version. I only liked the first few seasons and the season with: Brook White & Kristy Lee & the Davids- haven't cared since.

Comment posted on January 18, 2011 1:30 AM